Thursday, October 18, 2007

Conference Updates

Yesterday we went to the Machine Learning Workshop. It was so interesting - talks on sensor networks, robots, and even text-mining (quite similar to my own research). The food was also excellent.

After that, I walked over to the Hilton for the meeting for first-time Grace Hopper attendees. We learned who Anita Borg and Grace Hopper were and more about the conference. There was a fantastic reception after with buffet dinner and drinks. We walked around and looked at the posters, which were quite interesting. After that we got our volunteer assignments, and I am happy to say that I am monitoring sessions I really wanted to attend anyway. Tomorrow there is a Data Mining workshop that I will be attending, so I am quite excited.

Today, I went to several workshops. First up was one about work/life balance, after which was one on Intrusion Detection Systems. We had a delicious lunch, by pure luck getting admitted to the CTO lunch with students. I ended up sitting with a VP from Cisco Systems, who we had a very interesting discussion with. We also sat with the President of the ACM. Finally, after lunch I went to one presentation on Interdisciplinary Research and then another on Mentoring.

No comments: