Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Slashdot | Sci-Fi Books For Pre-Teens?

So, I saw this post on Slashdot and got to thinking... It occurs to me that the author of this post is asking for advice for his preteen boys, but may have preteen girls as well - how many people just assume girls won't be interested in science fiction? My own interest in science & technology was (in part) fueled by my voracious appetite for science fiction novels, and I was lucky to be able to visit a library once a week and choose whatever I wanted. Could we get more girls involved in science and technology by encouraging them to read science fiction? What books would you recommend for young girls to this end?

I'm thinking of some of the first science fiction books I read when I was younger, which I loved:

  • The Tripods (series)

  • The Foundation novels (Asimov)

  • Dune (Frank Herbert)

  • The Heechee Series (Frederik Pohl)

  • Fereinheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)

  • The Martian Chronicles, as well as other various short stories (Ray Bradbury)

  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (A. C. Clarke)


The list goes on. These were nice set-ups for other authors I moved on to: Greg Bear, Gregory Benford, David Brin, Heinlein, George Turner, Clifford D. Simak, Philip K. Dick, Ursula Le Guin, and so on.

No comments: