Thursday, October 16, 2008

Debt and Sin: An Evening with Margaret Atwood

I wish I'd had the energy to write about this when I got home last night, but seeing as it was midnight and I have to get up at 6am on weekdays, it didn't happen.

Anyway, last night I went to see Margaret Atwood deliver her second in this year's Massey Lecture series. I really like Atwood's writing and generally read everything she comes out with, so when I heard on CBC that she was coming I got tickets right away. I have to say, it was interesting to see how few people under 30 were there, especially as the cost for students was a paltry $10. Not that it wasn't well attended, the place was packed of course, but I just find it disappointing that youth don't seem to be interested in this kind of thing, especially given the times (the same is true of the symphony, but that's another matter altogether).

A surprise after the lecture was a generous spread of tasty snacks. It was tempting to get a book signed, but the line up would have taken ages. Given that it took until nearly midnight to get home anyway, it was probably a good idea to skip it. Still, I'm keeping my eye out for the book! Can't wait to read the whole thing and listen to the lectures on Ideas in November.

No comments: