Friday, December 12, 2008

Surprise, Surprise!

You would think after last year's snow fiasco(s), the many emails regarding service improvement and emergency strategies, and the thousands of students stuck on campus without food last year, that there would at least be a good chance that similar situations would be prevented this year.

But no.

We get not even an inch of snow, and the same problems occur. After checking SFU's website and webcams (which were down, and at this time are still showing one hour old pictures) this morning, I decided to give it a try. However, I had to get off the bus I was on and head back downtown at around 9:00am after the driver told me that buses hadn't been going up since 8:00am and that there were whiteout conditions for the last hour (speaking of which, I'm not sure why he waited to tell passengers until we were halfway there, or why he didn't think to mention it until he was asked).

SFU's website did not indicate that buses were not running until 10:30am this morning. Exams weren't canceled until 10:30am either, so presumably many students were in the midst of trying to make it to campus in dangerous driving conditions when the alert went up on the website. Meanwhile, I have yet to receive a text message from the new emergency system telling me that the roads are closed and classes are canceled...

No comments: