Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Nous Nous Souvenons

Today is the anniversary of the Montreal Massacre, which took place on December 6, 1989 at l'École Polytechnique de Montréal, Canada.  On that day, 14 female engineering students were killed by a male student who blamed them for his problems in life.  So, today we remember, and commemorate the event as the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women in Canada.

When I was looking at related news stories and articles today, I found a couple of positive ones that I thought I'd share here.  The first one is particularly related to CS Education Week (which I've posted about a few times now); it's a blog post by the Girl Guides of Canada on why STEM programs for women are important, as told by Girl Guides' scholarship winners who themselves are studying in STEM programs.  Having been a member of Girl Guides for roughly a decade growing up, I'm happy to see them encouraging young women to enter STEM fields and explore technology as a career.

The second is an article about the top 100 most powerful women in Canada, featuring one of my favorite authors, Margaret Atwood (whose books I've also occasionally posted about here).  It's great to see these women honoured and I'm a little embarrassed that I don't know who more of them are.  Should make for some great reading over the coming days!

No comments: