Monday, January 3, 2011

Last Night in Japan :(

Tonight is my last night here in Japan. I'm sad to have to go and of course have my next trip all planned out!

Since Okinawa proved so difficult to get around, I decided to spend the last two days sightseeing with a Japanese tour group. I was able to see quite a lot in two days this way, including:
  • several WWII sites such as the Japanese underground naval headquarters
  • a cave with over a million stalactites (at Okinawa World)
  • a giant aquarium holding 75000 cubic feet of water and at least three whale sharks
  • the remains of an ancient castle at Nikijinjo
  • and Nago Pineapple Park (which needs to be seen to be believed)
Even better, both tour guides spent the long bus journeys teaching us about the differences between the Okinawan dialect and Japanese, and today's tour guide taught us several songs. She had a beautiful voice (luckily).

A few things I'll miss in Japan:
  • things that sing (trains, kitchen appliances, toilets)
  • Japanese television, particularly the news (so informative!) and the many programs showcasing people eating
  • cheap, delicious food (I still don't think I've ever had a bad meal in Japan)
I'm sure there are more, but I have to get packing. I'll leave you with some videos taken at Manzo Beach in Central/North Okinawa today:

Cliffs at Manza Beach


Waves at Manza Beach

No comments: