Saturday, January 1, 2011

Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu!


Happy New Year! Actually, New Year's Day is almost over now. I spent the day up at Shuri-jo Castle enjoying the sites and New Year's Day's festivities.

Usually on New Year's Eve in Japan, people go to the nearest shrine or temple at midnight. There is amazake and sometimes sweets. They also sometimes watch the NHK New Year's extravaganza, Red vs. White, in which the Red and White teams compete against each other by singing songs. There's really nothing quite like it, and in the past the costumes have been pretty extravagant. This year's was quite toned down. White won for the 6th year in a row!

I don't really have any New Year's resolutions for the coming year. 2010 was a pretty banner year for me, so I plan to keep doing what I'm doing and try to remember to make time to relax, spend time with friends and family, and keep blogging!

No comments: