Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Are we ready for our GHC 2012 BOF! Yes, almost!

As I've written about before, I am part of a BOF (Birds of a Feather) session at this year's GHC.  My co-presenters are Kerry Corrigall from Telus and Aakriti Agarwal from Deutche Bank.  Because of our multinational panel we had a very early (or for Aakriti, very late!) meeting the other morning to prepare, but now we need your help!

Some Background
We have been working for several years and are transitioning our roles from junior to mid-level technologists.  We noticed that at conferences like GHC, there was plenty of great advice for people looking to grow their careers, but that most of it came from more senior-level people.  The advice was often too general or high-level to be practical for us.  Junior level women could use some advice from other women just like them, and we aim to provide it in our talk.

Advice for and by junior-level women in tech!
We know we don't have all the answers, and we want the advice in our session to be relevant and useful to you, so we need your help!  We are planning to open the floor to questions/suggestions from the audience, so what questions would you most like answered?  What suggestions would you give other junior-level women in tech?  Leave your responses in the comments below, or tweet any of us!

6 comments:

KerryC said...

Can't wait for Baltimore! I think this BOF is going to be a ton of fun -- I'm most excited to hear what kinds of tips and questions are on the minds of everyone.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Looking forward to this BOF!! Love the BOF description and planned discussions. Aakriti, my fellow Hopper scholar and ABI ambassador, you rock! - Lani Fraizer

colleen said...

Maybe younger students might like to know which courses might be most helpful and how to keep networking and upgrading. I think many might want to know how to make the best contributions beyond the work day?

Anonymous said...

As a junior developer, I often feel concerned that the work I'm doing today will set my path for tomorrow. Should I be working on projects specifically aimed at building a career, or does computer science allow for exploration? -M

Kate said...

Thanks for your comment M! I think there is room for both, and that's something we'll touch on in our session for sure. :-)