Friday, March 8, 2013

International Women's Day

Happy 101th International Women's Day!  Although this year marks several milestones, I haven't seen much news yet today.  Well, it's still early.

This year I've been thinking about how far we've come, and how far we still have to go.  With regard to the former, I've seen some inspiring stories and documentaries in the past week or two that you should check out:
  • PBS Maker's: Women Who Make America (documentary): This doc is three hours long and riveting throughout.  It's a really well-done series of interviews with prominent leaders from the Women's Movement, now and then.  Definitely a must-see!
  • It's the 100th anniversary of women's suffrage in the US: This story not only has excellent written contact, but amazing photography to boot.  Worth a ready!  Kudos to my dad for sending it my way.
  • Nature's article on Women in STEM: The content may be a little depressing (women in STEM fields still face systemic discrimination) but what is inspiring is that Nature devoted a special section entirely to this issue, which unfortunately not enough people have awareness of.
  • Anita Sarkeesian's first installment of Tropes vs. Women in Video Games: You may remember Anita Sarkeesian's kickstarter project and the bullying it faced.  That the project was installment and its first video is here is a triumph.
I'm really happy that there are such great organizations/groups/initiatives particularly concerned with the issues facing women in STEM fields.  In case you haven't heard of them, here are a few:
Going forward, what I really hope is that we can continue to work towards a world where all women face equal opportunities, not just in STEM field but whatever endeavours they choose to pursue.  I hope the stories of discrimination in the workplace decrease, that I read fewer and fewer stories of harassment or of women being pushed out of promising careers.  And I hope to see more of the fantastic achievements from women that I know we are capable of.

No comments: